Thursday, September 30, 2010

A bit of video fun for its own sake: Our cat climbing the garden gate | (Yes, art therapy can be fun too! It should be time to time!)


Fun for its own sake- thats what both the 3 little clips which went into making this video were, as was making it. That's a good thing. Even an "emotional bathysphere" such as I needs a break from sturm und drang, and anyone living with chronic pain or disability has more than enough of that in their lives.

This is another view which makes me something of an "art therapy heretic" but after 15 years in the church, I'm used to that! My "faith stream's" founder was decried as a wild boar running amok in the Lord's garden, so being a heretic isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Light and fun as shooting and producing this was, it is a significant event in my life. With its devastating effects on energy and concentration, fibro had robbed me of my ability to do the sort of elaborate and carefully constructed videos which had been my wont and my great pleasure. While this has been the case, I've never accepted it had to be so. I've been determined to find a way to work around the limited energy and attention span. This video is an experiment in doing just that, and it came out quite well.

The way I was able to make this was work was to break everything down to its most elemental and do that sequentially. So first I collected the video clips, then the pictures, then I put them in the editor, and within the editor I did each type of editing on all the clips, saved the project, cleared my head with something else, came back and continued. I also tried to keep this as simple as possible.

I hope to be able to apply these principles to more videos. If there's more to learn about living with fibro's crushing pain and lack of energy while still being a creative human being, I will. I will NOT concede ultimate defeat to this. A tactical retreat might be necessary from time to time, but surrender is not a concept I accept.

Here's the boilerplate from Youtube:
Three fun clips of my clat climbing the garden fence, mixed with photos of my wife holding her and her in the flower garden behind. Its been so hard to work on videos with fibro, wanted to try something simple and fun to get back into it. I had fun making this, I hope you have fun watching it!

Radio commercial is Creative Commons BY-NC-SA from http://www.archive.org/details/Vintag...

Visuals also cc: ny-nc-sa http://listig.multiply.com & http://suffering-and-art-therapy.blog...

PS- Fun fact: Phoebe here is almost 15 years old! She's a very active & healthy elderly kitty!

1 comment: